For those looking for marriage bliss on a once-in-a-lifetime and easy to remember marriage anniversary date, your day is just around the corner. This upcoming Twos Day, which is Tuesday, February 22, 2022 (2-22-22), Orange County Clerk-Recorder Hugh Nguyen will be offering extended hours at his offices in Anaheim, Laguna Hills and at the Old Orange County Courthouse in Santa Ana. Instead of its normal closing hours, the department will be keeping its marriage services units open until 5:00 p.m. Due to high demand for marriage services on this palindrome and lucky date, appointments are highly recommended. Walk-ins are welcomed and will be served on a first come, first served basis; however, couples must complete an application online prior to visiting any of the offices. Also, the department will be hosting a special night at the historic Old Orange County Courthouse in Santa Ana where couples will be able to take the plunge during special, destined to be memorable ceremonies performed under the glow of candles. Candlelit ceremonies will be offered from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. by appointment only. During candlelit marriage appointments, couples must obtain a marriage license and have a civil ceremony performed. Please dress for this special occasion. No walk-in service is available for candlelit ceremonies. Appointments are limited. To complete an application online and to make an appointment, please visit the following link: https://www.ocrecorder.com/services/marriage-services.
“Couples are choosing 2-22-22 as their day to tie the knot since it is a once-in-a-lifetime date and many also believe it is a lucky date,” said Clerk-Recorder Hugh Nguyen. “As always, we will work hard to make the day even more memorable for the couples. It will be fun,” he added.
There are many things that make this date special. This once-in-a-life time date is considered lucky in some cultures due to its all even numbers. In some Asian cultures, this date is considered an auspicious wedding date which refers to a favorable day for a couple to hold the wedding. It is believed that if you hold the wedding on such a day, you will enjoy a happy and harmonious marriage. It is also a palindromic date, meaning the date can be read the same way backwards and forward in the format mm-dd-yy. This unique date falls on a Tuesday, the second day of the week in many cultures around the world. This has prompted the media to call the day Twos Day.
The candlelit ceremonies will be held inside the courtroom located on the third floor of the Old Orange County Courthouse. The rich woods, ornate judge’s bench, period chandeliers and high ceilings will be a great backdrop for this special night. The courthouse has been used for movies and television shows since 1915, adding to the uniqueness of these candlelit ceremonies. The courthouse can be seen in the films Frances, Catch Me If You Can, and Legally Blonde to name a few.
The department will be implementing strict social distancing guidelines as well as the following restrictions to ensure the safety of the couples and staff:
- Couples must complete their marriage application online prior to visiting any of our offices.
- For couples looking to obtain a marriage license, only the couple can be present. No guests allowed.
- For couples looking to obtain a public marriage license and have a ceremony performed, only the couple and one witness may be present. No guests allowed.
- For couples looking to obtain a confidential marriage license and have a ceremony, only the couple can be present. No guests allowed.
- Couples must present valid government issued photo identification at their appointment.
- Candlelit ceremonies at the Old Orange County Courthouse are only by appointment. No walk-ins.
- Appointments for candlelit ceremonies are limited to couples who are having a marriage ceremony from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at the Old Orange County Courthouse.
- Payment can be made by cash, credit/debit card, check, cashier's check, and/or money order. Make checks and money orders payable to the Orange County Clerk-Recorder.
Another reason to join us on this special day, the department has the lowest costs for a marriage license and a marriage ceremony in the state. In Orange County, couples can obtain a public marriage license for $61 and a confidential marriage license for $66. A civil marriage ceremony can be performed for an additional $28.
For more information, please call the department’s information line at (714) 834-2500 or visit OCRecorder.com. The department’s information line is available Monday – Friday, except holidays, from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.